In addition to equity investments, Meritus Ventures can provide operational assistance (OA) to its actual and potential portfolio companies at no cost to those companies. Meritus’ OA program can be tailored to meet the specific needs of a company.
OA services can include, but are not necessarily limited to:
- Writing or assisting in the preparation of business plan
- Legal assistance relating to business formation or reorganization (but not litigation)
- Recruitment of executives
- Creation of Internet capability
- Engineering or other technical services to create or enhance production or distribution of products or services
- Creation of customized accounting or information systems
- Active participation in negotiations with financial institutions (e.g., in connection with a debt financing)
- Intellectual property assessment
- Development of marketing plans and related market research
Companies interested in receiving an investment from Meritus should give serious thought to the types of professional assistance they most need. Currently, the OA program has finished and is not providing assistance to portfolio companies.
The operational assistance component of the Fund’s activities is funded in part by a grant from USDA, with administrative oversight by the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA). This USDA/SBA grant funding is not part of the venture capital that is invested by Meritus. The USDA/SBA grant funding also is not an endorsement of any products, opinions, or services. All USDA/SBA funded programs are extended to the public on a nondiscriminatory basis.